Sunday

Where's the Bloomin' Elbow Control!?

So the animators were having issues with this silly auto-rig setup in maya.  I managed to locate how to toggle on/off the IK/FK as well as find where the stupidly placed IKelbow control was!


FK/IK Switch in arms and elbow swiv for IK from Danie G.P. on Vimeo.

Here's a quick screen grab for those who are still unsure (and haven't checked the facebook group page).

So quick analysis of progress.
The smaller alien's rig is almost complete.  Sorting out FK/IK on the arms was a nightmare at first, but after the pass 11 tries of attempting it, I FINALLY got it!  I then had an issue to solve on one of the arms, when I moved the shoulder control, the right armIK would stay in place (woo!) but the left armIK would wonder about like a tool.  GRR!

I thought I'd have to sort it all out from the beginning again, but I calmed myself, looked around the Outliner and tried to locate the issue.  I eventually found it!  I had OrientConstraint the L_armIK joints to the L_arm instead of ParentConstraint.  I was so relieved to see it working properly.  As stressful as rigging is, like maths, once you've solved the problem you feel like you've acheived something great.  Which I had!  It meant I didn't have to create an FK/IK switch again! :P  Lucky me.

So I've put IK on the legs (even though he jumps about it's only for a few seconds on screen) and the limbs are completed.  I just need to create hand, foot and head controls, tweak up the mesh bind and it's good to go.  Thankfully I've spent a lot of time learning how to set up character rigs really nicely, so the Tank should NOT take the same amount of time to sort out.

I'm glad how progress is going.  Unfortunately one of my projects (from RUST) has been pulled as I didn't have the time to sort out a Max rig for Tinman in time.  Too much on my plate, I guess!  But they have allowed me to use the model how I wish, so I'm going to be rigging Tinman (modelled and textured by Amanda Bendandi) in Maya instead of Max, so I can get to grips with stretchy bones in Maya.  I'd like to focus most of my rigging in Maya as it's more friendly to me.  I still know parts in Max but I'd prefer the layout and such of Maya.  So I will be doing a full character rig of the Tinman, with a stretchy-bone grappling hook.  Should be fun!  The feet will probably be my biggest challenge, but my focus of next week (starting Wednesday) is to had the all the aliens completed and begin work on the Tinman.

The following week (final week of Easter break) I want to have had the Tinman completed by either the Monday or Tuesday, allowing me to work on DaniSaur again.  From scratch!  Oh I've missed my little DaniSaur!  In the process of this workflow, I will also be working on my final image and website.  The website is live (I tthink, ha) but still need tweaking.  I'm currently using Wix.com for web designing but currently I'm not liking the look of it.  I will do more research into web pages.

Until then! (Sorry for a boring blog, there aren't any pictures here today...)

No comments:

Post a Comment